This did NOT get rid of the problem I had with disappearing passwords! However I do seem to be able to edit images properly. What (OBVIOUSLY) did fix the problem was upgrading to Dreamweaver CS5.5!
This post may be able to help get rid of the issues with changing images in the dialog box, but forget about the issue with lost login info! Do backups (Manage Sites > (select a site) > Export… and that will create a *.STE saved site definition file, like ExampleSite.com.ste) of ALL of your sites in a separate folder, when the login for a site is lost just go to Manage Sites > Remove the site that’s lost its info. Manage Sites > Import and navigate to your saved *.STE file and select it for import. Dreamweaver will re-connect your site, rebuilding the cache if you have that selected. Note its also handy to have these *.STE file definitions for when you upgrade, it makes things easier!
After my last post on Dreamweaver 8 working on Windows 7 back in January 2011, I’m finally posting an update.
I’ve been using Dreamweaver 8 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit actively for some months now, but with some minor aggravations. Here are the problems I encountered running Macromedia DW8 on Win7 64-bit (Home Premium):
- cannot change images in Design View by right-click on the image, clicking Source File…, then navigating to the image (more details)
- Dreamweaver seems to randomly lose FTP username and Password, necessitating site definition backup usage for each site (given time and enough usage). You should back up all sites once, but these backups shouldn’t be necessary for regular use.
Taken from Microsoft Answers (answer by Shinmila H – Microsoft Support): Dreamweaver 8 (studio 8, 2004) worked for 2 days on my 64-bit Windows 7 system
From your problem description, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your computer. You just need to install the 8.02 patch to make Dreamweaver work.
Here’s a trick to install 8.02 patch of Dreamweaver on Windows 7 machine.
1. Download the file from the link below.
http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/kb400150/DW802_unwrapped.zip (link not LIVE any more on Adobe site)
2. Unzip the installer to a folder which can be easily located.
3. Now run a command prompt in elevated mode.
To do so,
a) Go to start and type cmd in the search field.
b) Right click on cmd from the list and choose run as Administrator.
4. Navigate to the saved folder where patchpackage.msp file is located and type in the following.
msiexec /update patchpackage.msp
5. Press Enter.
6. The patch will begin to install.
By now you should have successfully installed 8.02 patch.
Trying the above, I almost ended up giving up, because I was prompted for Macromedia_Dreamweaver_8.msi which is not on my PC or install disks. Let me add more detail, since I’ve probably got an unusual installation … I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and originally I purchased Dreamweaver MX 2004, which I later upgraded with the Dreamweaver 8 upgrade, so I don’t have a “normal” Dreamweaver 8 install to begin with. Next, I searched the DW8 Upgrade CD (the one used to upgrade DW MX 2004 – see details), and my Windows 7 Hard Disk to no avail. There are a number of Sharez and Warez sites that popped up when I searched Google for Macromedia_Dreamweaver_8.msi, but staying LEGAL is not an option for me – its a REQUIREMENT.
So, I just finished the install with the error message that Macromedia_Dreamweaver_8.msi wasn’t found, but then Dreamweaver worked and now I can edit the images just fine. I’ve backed up all of my site definitions (with login, password and local paths) and hopefully will not need them for regular Dreamweaver use!
In other words, if you have a LEGAL installation of your Dreamweaver 8 and cannot find Macromedia_Dreamweaver_8.msi, then you may be able to get the update installed correctly anyway. Time will tell!
I did see other options which included installing Sun VirtualBox, but that would mean uninstalling and re-installing DW8 (and MX 2004 in my case). Then if that didn’t work I’d need to re-install DW MX2004, then upgrade it again to DW8 after uninstalling VirtualBox.
Another option was upgrading for about $80+ to Windows 7 Professional.