AIMING: GO FOR THE WEAK POINT
In the original Gears of War I noticed a weak point in the Locust soldiers around their knees, concentrate some fire, they fall, reload, then finish them off. In Gears of War 2 the same thing still works, but watch for the Locust to get up more quickly as if they had simply tripped and fallen. Also it seems a little more difficult to hit the Locust there for some reason in Gears 2.
AIMING: GO FOR THE HEADSHOT
1. LONGSHOT SNIPER RIFLE: The king of headshots, simply aim + zoom (hold LT + click right thumbstick) at a reasonable distance then fire and one shot says it all. Aim at head, chest or legs. A headshot will be a one shot kill on Locust soldiers, a shot in the chest will kill in 1 or 2 shots, and go for the legs when you want to drop them – either because they are moving or because you are aiming underneath of an obstacle and its all you can shoot.
2. HAMMERBURST ASSAULT RIFLE: In Gears of War 2, the Locust’s Hammerburst Assault rifle has been re-worked a little. In the original Gears of War this assault rifle fired in 3 round bursts, but in Gears 2 it now fires in automatic and semi-automatic. Hold down the trigger and the Hammerburst fires off about 5 rounds per second. But, it will fire more quickly if you fire semi automatic by pulling the trigger as quickly as possible to squeeze off rounds more quickly – exactly the same was as you fire the snub pistol.
Second only to the Longshot Sniper Rifle when it comes to headshots, the Hammerburst Assault will pull of a nice one, but is more reliable if the target isn’t running. But, you can use the aim + zoom (hold LT + click right thumbstick) and get a nice headshot. It might take 2 or 3 rounds to accomplish this.
3. BOLTOK PISTOL: I’m sure its possible to pull off a heashot with the Boltok Pistol though I haven’t done it. The Boltok pistol will also get the job done… you can use aim + zoom (hold LT + click right thumbstick) and it has a powerful shot to be sure. Its one of those guns you really need to be patient or practiced with. Since your in-game opponents tend to pop-out, pop-in while you are trying to get your shot off, aim well.
4. LANCER ASSAULT RIFLE: Fourth in the “Headshot Countdown” the Lancer Assault Rifle might be able to pull off a headshot, but it will take several rounds. You’re not going to get a headshot with 2 or 3 rounds, more likely 10+.
You’ll need to get closer since you can’t aim + zoom, and need to rely on your aim (hold LT), then hold down your fire button and hope for the best. If you are lucky, or have great and steady aim, you might be able to pull off a heashot, but don’t rely on it.
5. SNUB PISTOL (ADDED 12/6): You can pull a headshot off with the Snub Pistol, you have to aim well, or get lucky and probably fire off several shots.
AIMING: GO FOR THE GOLD
TORQUE BOW: Forget about a headshot, with the Torque bow, just hit an opponent and you are guaranteed a kill except in a few cases. Oh, and don’t bother trying to fire without aiming (hold LT).
HAMMER OF DAWN: The Hammer of Dawn makes a return in Gears 2, but what self-respecting Locust soldier is going to sit there all nice and patient-like while you paint them with the Hammer’s laser designator? Still, its a one-shot kill that you can move around to get other nearby opponents.
GNASHER SHOTGUN: Forget about a headshot, with the shotgun if you are close enough a body shot will finish off most opponents with one round.
GORGON PISTOL: Fires some mean four round bursts, with a notable delay in between. The Gorgon will take out some difficult opponents with relative ease that the Hammerburst, Lancer, Snub pistol, Boltok pistol, and even the Longshot Sniper rifle have difficulty taking down before you find yourself staring at a fully red Crimson Omen.
GEARS OF WAR 2 AIM: NEW STUFF
There are new weapons in Gears of War 2 that are really powerful, though they generally have some drawback to balance out their power, for example no dive rolls or roadie runs while carrying them. The new weapons each have their own peculiarites for aiming to maximize effect, but I won’t be detailing that here so I don’t spoil the fun for you!
ADDITIONAL GEARS 2 TIPS & LINKS
Tip: Intestinal Fortitude – Goal: Avoid Suffocating
Tip: Intestinal Fortituide – Goal: Avoid Jets & Acid Pools
Tip: Get Marcus and Dom Past Cranes
Tip: Gears of War 2 Aiming
Info: Gears of War 2 Better Than The Original [plus Youtube Vid]
Info: Xbox Sales Tied to Gears Of War Again [plus Youtube Vid]
Info: Gears of War 2 Takes Aim at Used Game Sales
Link: Gears 2 Xbox Mini Site
Link: Official Gears of War 2 Site